• Make a contribution
  • Get the Print Edition
  • Sign up for our daily newsletter
Saturday, November 29, 2025
  • Login
Reading Today Online
  • HOME
  • YOUR AREA
    • All
    • Caversham
    • Central Reading
    • East Reading
    • Katesgrove
    • Reading
    • Southcote & Coley
    • Tilehurst & Norcot
    • Whitley

    Broad Street Mall raises £15,000 for The Royal British Legion through Poppy Appeal support

    NHS increasing GP flexibility through online consultation rollout

    Reading Borough Council is ‘trashing the environment’ claims Green Party

    Benefact Group seeking charity nominations for 12 Days of Giving Christmas funding boost

    FROM THE LEADER: Introducing the new digital visitor parking permits

    Two men given major prison sentences following robbery and weapons offences, including violent break in of Tilehurst home

    Council formally submits government bid to keep Tilehurst wards from potential new ‘Ridgeway’ authority

    Programme aimed at helping international students at Uni of Reading wins national award

    EV chargers reinstated at stadium after cable theft

  • COMMUNITY
  • CRIME
  • READING FC
  • SPORT
    • All
    • Basketball
    • Football
    • Rugby

    Reading FC boss Richardson targets fresh start on return to Blackpool

    Reading FC striker Jack Marriott faces ongoing uncertainty amid injury concerns

    ‘The atmosphere has been poor, we need to up it’: Fans raise concerns over noise in Reading FC’s Club 1871 stand

    ‘We should have had two penalties’: Reading FC fans fume at referee in draw against Rotherham

    ‘So unbelievably out of touch’: Reading FC fans react to ‘bizarre’ AI video

    Shane Long set for warm welcome on return to Reading FC this weekend

    ‘We will learn’ says Reynolds following home defeat for Rams RFC

    Ascot Racecourse to host November Racing Weekend

    Reading FC to host Andy’s Man Club for Men’s Mental Health Awareness

  • ENTERTAINMENT
    • ARTS
    • READING FESTIVAL
    • READING PRIDE
    • WOKINGHAM FESTIVAL
  • READING FESTIVAL
  • BUSINESS
  • MORE…
    • ADVERTISE
    • CONTACT US
No Result
View All Result
Reading Today Online
No Result
View All Result
Home Featured

Plan for new drive-through takeaway withdrawn, after concerns from burger van owner

Guest Contributor by Guest Contributor
Saturday, February 19, 2022 7:52 am
in Featured, Reading
A A
The existing burger van

The existing burger van Picture: Google Maps / LDRS

Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

The owner of a burger van said he ‘felt like his heart has been ripped out’ after a plan for a drive-through takeaway in Reading was submitted. It has since been withdrawn.

Last year, Cube Real Esate submitted an application to Reading Borough Council build the takeaway on a patch of grass in Scours Lane, Tilehurst. It would be close to the Stadium Way Industrial Estate.

However, the owner of a burger van has expressed concerns, fearing the impact on his business.

Barry Elford, who owns Barry’s Burger Van, said in his appeal: “As we have traded there for 28 years with a catering van I’m so upset by this as this is my living.

“I feel like my heart has been ripped out.

“I’m so worried as trade is hard enough with all the food outlets in the area.”

Related posts

Broad Street Mall raises £15,000 for The Royal British Legion through Poppy Appeal support

NHS increasing GP flexibility through online consultation rollout

Reading Borough Council is ‘trashing the environment’ claims Green Party

Benefact Group seeking charity nominations for 12 Days of Giving Christmas funding boost

He added: “You’ll be putting a small business out of business again through greed and power of the big chains.”

His concern was echoed by Alok Sharma, the Conservative MP for Reading West, who asked Reading Borough Council’s planning department to consider Mr Elford’s comments.

The area close to the proposed takeaway already has a large number of food outlets, including a KFC drive-through at the Reading Retail Park, Val’s Cafe in Oxford Road and Kebab Corner in Norcot Road.

In its application, Cube Real Esate said the drive-through would create 25 jobs.

Sharps Commercial real estates company, writing in support of the plan, said the area is “currently under supplied with somewhere for visitors and local residents to easily go for a drink and something to eat” and that the site is “ideally located” for the project.

Documents submitted with the application state the restaurant would cater for customers in vehicles, serve takeaway and welcome 26 eat-in diners.

It would have operated from 5.30am to 11pm Monday to Saturday, with reduced hours on Sunday, and come with  22 car parking spaces for customers, including three disabled bays, three extended bays for vans and five electric vehicle charging bays.

But other neighbours complained about the already large number of businesses in the area, arguing that the drive-through would cause traffic queues “in an already congested area”.

Objecting to the plan, Oxford Road resident Christopher Smith, said: “Vehicles turning right from Oxford Road to Scours lane frequently have to wait, causing traffic to back up on to Norcot Roundabout.

“Often traffic tries to force itself round vehicles waiting to turn by entering the bus stop and or the end of Bramshaw Road.

“Additionally, traffic turning right out of Scours Lane is often having to queue.”

He continued: “An increase of traffic is only going to compound the current problems, increase noise and the risk of accidents.

“To put additional strain on this junction and in such close proximity to it with the proposed turning can not in anyway be a good outcome.”

A transport statement submitted by the applicant concluded that journeys for the sole purpose of going to the new takeaway would be minimal.

And the the diner would be accessible by foot to visitors of Reading City Football Club, also on Scours Lane, and people living in the vicinity.

However, the application was withdrawn on Friday, February 11.

Keep up to date by signing up for our daily newsletter

We don’t spam we only send our newsletter to people who have requested it.

Check your inbox or spam folder to confirm your subscription.

Previous Post

The Zing in the Ding puts a smile on our faces

Next Post

FROM THE MIDDLE: Reducing the goalkeepers clearance time

FOLLOW US

POPULAR STORIES

  • Emergency services respond to incident at the Oracle

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Man in his 60s dies following incident near The Oracle in Reading

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Reading FC legend Brian McDermott starts new role

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • ‘He would be the perfect signing’: Reading FC fan favourite training with club ahead of potential return

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • ‘Absolutely embarrassing’: New Reading FC boss starts with shocking FA Cup defeat to non-league Carlisle

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0

RDG.Today – which is a Social Enterprise – provides Reading Borough with free, independent news coverage.

If you are able, please support our work

Click Here to Support RDG.Today

ABOUT US

Reading Today is dedicated to providing news online across the whole of the Borough of Reading. It is a Social Enterprise, existing to support the various communities in Reading Borough.

CONTACT US

news@wokinghampaper.co.uk

Reading Today Logo

Keep up to date with our daily newsletter

We don’t spam we only send our newsletter to people that have subscribed

Check your inbox or spam folder to confirm your subscription.

The Wokingham Paper Ltd publications are regulated by IPSO – the Independent Press Standards Organisation.
If you have a complaint about a  The Wokingham Paper Ltd  publication in print or online, you should, in the first instance, contact the publication concerned, email: editor@wokingham.today, or telephone: 0118 327 2662. If it is not resolved to your satisfaction, you should contact IPSO by telephone: 0300 123 2220, or visit its website: www.ipso.co.uk. Members of the public are welcome to contact IPSO at any time if they are not sure how to proceed, or need advice on how to frame a complaint.

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
No Result
View All Result
  • HOME
  • MY AREA
    • Central Reading
    • East Reading
    • Bracknell
    • Calcot
    • Caversham
    • Crowthorne
    • Earley
  • CRIME
  • COMMUNITY
  • SPORT
    • Reading FC
    • Football
    • Rugby
    • Basketball
  • ENTERTAINMENT
    • ARTS
    • READING PRIDE
    • WOKINGHAM FESTIVAL
  • READING FESTIVAL
  • OBITUARIES
  • BUSINESS
  • ADVERTISE
  • CONTACT US
  • SUPPORT US
  • SIGN UP FOR OUR NEWSLETTER
  • WHERE TO GET THE PRINT EDITION

© 2021 - The Wokingham Paper Ltd - All Right Reserved.